Wayne State University

Aim Higher

Two International Students

Dependent Information

The spouse and unmarried minor children (under the age of 21) of scholars may either accompany them to the United States, or come alone at a later date.

In order to apply for a dependent visa, such as J-2, H-4, O-3, E-3D, at a U.S. consulate, the dependent(s) should have the following:

  1. A valid passport
  2. Proof that adequate funds are available to meet all of their expenses while in the United States (bank statements, affidavits of support, etc.)
  3. For J-2, valid form DS-2019 for J-1 and J-2(s)
  4. For H-4. E-3D, and O-3, original I-797 approval notice verifying the principal's current immigration status as H-1B or O-1.
  5. Proof of relationship, such as marriage certificate and/or birth certificates

Since currently all WSU TNs are Canadian citizens, their dependents can simply go to a port of entry to apply for TD status with proof of identity, TN's own immigration documents, and proof of relationship.

Reasons for denial of a visa include lack of proper documentation (such as lack of evidence of sufficient financial support), suspected excludability (such as criminal activity), or, most often in case of J-2s and E-3D, the inability to convince the consular officer that they will return to their home country after the authorized stay has ended.

When the family members arrive at a United States port of entry, they will present their passports containing a dependent visa and other immigration documentation to an immigration inspector. Upon admitting them to the United States, the inspector will issue them a Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record), which will show the date and place of entry and the authorized period of stay.

Please note that except J-2s and E-3D, dependents are not allowed to work.